Saturday, July 09, 2005

The Return of the Native

An interesting three bit tale unfolds over here involving a grandson, father and grandfather.

A long time ago , my great grandfather left his village in Dhenkanal, Orissa. The districts claim to fame is that every house is related to a politician.After all it has produced more Cm's then all other districts of Orissa put to gether.

My grand father went to Scotland to study. A zoologist i think his 15 minutes of fame was having a tissue named after him. Only to come back to Orissa.

My father for the first twenty years of his life built his corporate life in all places ( Delhi, Mumbai, Lagos....)only to now end up touring orissa extensively.15 days in a month is bad.

I thus naturally never stayed here. And like all other children born post industrial revolution studied to make myself useful to some pretty useless corporations of the world.Only to come and begin peddling th FMCG (read petty products) in....Orissa of course.

Well thankfully atleast i speak the language. It helps. i especially love surprising marwari shopkeepers with my supreme delhi wala hindi and then talking to Oriya shopkeepers with Fluent Oriya.

But then i am only here for training. Only time shall say how Orissa unfolds in my life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aditi said...

I completely agree, very well written :)

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home